Poll shows Texans favor private school choice

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 4/23/2013 8:33 pm
A poll by the Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice shows more than half of Texas voters favor increasing access to private schools. 

According to the "Texas K-12 and School Choice Survey", 66 percent of Texas voters support school vouchers, which would allow parents to use their children's public education funds for private school tuition. The support is strongest among Hispanics, with 80 percent in favor. 

"The interesting thing is, the Hispanic voters, the African American voters, when you break it down by demographics and by income, they're very supportive of both charter schools and school choice and tax credits," Friedman Foundation CEO Robert Enlow said. "What's even more interesting is when you ask them the question, 'Should these programs be limited based on income?', it's the people in poverty that say it shouldn't be limited to income."

As for the quality of education in K-12, 55 percent of voters said it's on the wrong track, with 33 percent who said they feel it's moving in the right direction. 
Share
1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

Liberty Seeker - 4/24/2013 1:05 AM
0 Votes
I support a complete voucher system for ALL students. The schools should compete in a free market economy. Those who spend millions to renovate football fields, yet have nothing for up to date computer labs, will cater to dumb jocks. Other schools can cater to vocational training, and some can cater for college prep. Primitive, self centered administrators, that have the audacity to claim that the students are a "product" of their school, have it backwards. The student is not raw material to be distilled, refined, milled, hammered, assembled, warehoused, or produced into a "graduate". The student is to be treated as the customer. The school should be selling the service of "training/education", and should offer value in the eyes of the customer. Schools that merely "warehouse", or "assembly line" the students, should go out of business. Those who currently funnel 80% of medicine & land to 5% of their students, shall lose the other 95% to private schools. Look at all the classroom space available in the mega-churches that is completely empty during the week. I stipulate that church based schools, and home schools should also be able to accept and redeem the vouchers, as long as a minimum of 70% pass the same standardized tests that the public school students have to pass. Should the passing percentage be below 70%, then the home or school may redeem vouchers only for those who passed the tests. Monitored testing centers shall be available for public, private, and home school students equally and fairly. When students take their voucher and leave the congested public schools, the density shall reduce, and the need to destroy nearby property for expansion, is eliminated.
Lubbock Weather
60°
Mostly Cloudy

Wind: SE 10 mph
Feels Like: 60°
High: 72°
Low: 39°

Local News Video
Local News
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.