If you are wondering how dangerous hydrogen chloride, the chemical released during Thursdays gas leak, can be, we spoke to Dr. Ron Cook of the Texas tech School of Medicine who said the evacuation was completely necessary.
Cook said the small leak could have turned into a larger leak and escalated from there.
"What we worry about when we have this gas leak is that gas that leaks out turns into hydrochloric acid when it hits water." He said. "It's very caustic and burns your skin and burns your eyes. It can be lethal in very high doses."
Cook said it is important with a chemical as potentially dangerous as hydrogen chloride, to take any and all precautions for people's safety.