There was an abrupt, but brief, halt to business this morning at the Walmart on Avenue Q and the Marsha Sharp Freeway. Employees working in the receiving dock area called 911 when they noticed that unmistakable odor signaling a natural gas leak.
Fire Marshal Robert Loveless said the store's workers made good use of the few minutes it took fire crews to arrive.
“Walmart had already evacuated the store and did a great job of doing that and making sure that the clients were safe,” Loveless said. “We arrived. Checked it. It was just a gas line that had been snagged by a forklift.”
The gas quickly shut off to what turned out to be a small line leading to a heater that wasn't in use. The store re-opened about 30 minutes later.