LUBBOCK, Texas – The annual Texas Tech Baseball Red & Black Series came to a close on Sunday while the Black Team dominated the series with four wins, including a 6-4 victory on Sunday at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park in the fifth and final game.
After the Red Team tied the game in the seventh, 4-4, the Black Team scored the eventual game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh on a double-play groundball and freshman infielder Ryan Long added an RBI single in the eighth for an insurance run.
Freshman right-handed pitcher Sean Thompson (1-0) earned the win pitching two scoreless innings with three strikeouts allowing just one base hit and a walk.
Sophomore right-handed pitcher Blake Douglas (0-2) took the loss allowing five runs on four hits and two walks and two hit-by-pitch in an inning of work.
It was a pitcher’s duel during the opening four innings as both starters, Johnathon Tripp (Red Team) and Justin Bethard (Black Team), went pitch-for-pitch and each ended their outings with exactly the same results – four scoreless innings pitched, two strikeouts and two hits allowed. Bethard threw just 35 pitches while Tripp threw 56 pitches in his second start of the series.
Freshman infielder Matt Broadbent was the first Red Raider on either team to score a run while leading off the fifth inning for the Red Team with a triple. He later scored on Todd Ritchie’s RBI single and Ritchie came around to score on infielder Tim Proudfoot’s RBI double to right-center field giving the Red squad a 2-0 advantage.
The following inning, the Black Team scored four runs while batting through the order.
Senior infielder/outfielder Adam Kirsch led off the inning with a double to right field and scored on senior Jake Barrios’ double to left-center field. Barrios scored to tie the game on first baseman Eric Gutierrez’ sacrifice fly. Long’s first RBI of the game scored the go-ahead run as Anthony Lyons – who walked – scored before catcher Hunter Redman crossed home plate on a wild pitch while giving the Black Team a 4-2 lead.
Sophomore infielder Alec Humphreys (2-for-4) joined Long (2-for-4) and Kirsch (2-for-2) with multi-hit games for the Black Team.
Seven of the Red Team players finished with at least one hit while Broadbent (2-for-3) was the only player on the squad with multiple hits. Broadbent finished the Red & Black Series leading all Red Raiders batting .429 (9-for-21) with five runs, two triples, two walks and four RBI.
The end of the Red & Black Series also puts a close on the Red Raiders fall season as the team will now head into the off-season and prepare for their upcoming 2014 season which gets underway in February.
- First Pitch: 1:59 p.m.
- Time of Game: 2 hours, 15 minutes.
- Temperature: 66 degrees/8 MPH, Out to CF.
- Despite dropping four of five games, the Red Team finished with 55 hits in five games with at least eight hits in every game... The Black Team had 41 base hits.
- Four different pitchers from the Black Team won at least one game, including Brock Hunt, Corey Taylor, Nick Pettus and Sean Thompson.
- Nine players have scored at least one run for the Black Team in the series while eight players have scored at least two runs.
- Hunter Redman was the only player on the Black Team that hit safely in all five games of the series… Redman batted .316 (6-for-19) with three runs, two extra-base hits and led the team with five RBI.
- Three members of the Red Team have hit safely in each game, including Matt Broadbent (9-for-21, .429), Tim Proudfoot (8-for-23, .348) and Mason Randolph (6-for-18, .333).
- Red Team right-handed pitcher Matt Riney was the only pitcher on either team to make an appearance in four of the five games of the series (4 APP, 6.00 ERA, 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 SO, 1 BB)
Red & Black Series Results:
Game 1: Black Team defeats Red Team, 4-3 (Black Team Leads Series, 1-0)
Game 2: Red Team defeats Black Team, 15-6 (Series is Tied, 1-1)
Game 3: Black Team defeats Red Team, 10-6 (Black Team Leads Series, 2-1)
Game 4: Black Team defeats Red Team, 5-4 (Black Team Clinches Series, 3-1)
Game 5: Black Team defeats Red Team, 6-4 (Black Team Wins 4-of-5 Games)